Friday, December 28, 2007

My Christmas Present (BYO!)

Normally I don't really wish for anything for Christmas. But this year, I've bought myself something special. Something I've always wanted since young. Most of my younger days I cycle everywhere. We'd even cycle 5kms to the swimming pool when I was in secondary school. Before my mum allows us to ride on bicycle, I had already borrowed my neighbours bike, then my classmates and any bikes I could grab for free rides.

Its not that we don't have a bicycle at home but its just that I was too short then and the only bike we had was the big wheeled made in China bike which normally the older uncles (ah Pek) ride on. Then my mum bought a lady bike which has a chopper like handle (the harley davidson style) but it was for my elder sister. It was much later during my secondary school did my mum bought a mountain bike for me. But the ultimate bike which I really wanted was a road / racing bike.

During Uni days, it was unheard of people buying racing bikes to get around (or even for recreation). Motorbike or car would be a more practical mode of transport. Then back in Kuching, cycling is definitely out of the question. I never see anybody cycle yet in Kuching....

Next thing to buy is the floating thing behind the bike


Then here in Aussie.. the chance suddenly drop in front of my feet. Perth has a big cycling community and its so established here. I must say the government provides sufficient facilities for this sport/ recreation/ exercise to blossom. They have dedicated cycling lane from Mandurah down south to north passing the city. Chance came when some fellow cadets wanted to sell his bike. The price is right. Environment is right. The interest is there. Deal!


But I'm cautious about this hobby for now. I'm on tight budget so I'm keeping everything at bare necessities. No super duper wind resistant jersey or helmet or any fancy shoes and pedals just yet (unless there's a sponsor.. say Discovery Channel??). Its a bike and it gets me places. That's the most important thing and this morning I manage to see the other side of Swan River on my bike..... magnificent!

Dog's fave past time- throw a stick and it'll fetch.. even in the river...

No comments: