Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Too many questions!

What do you do when you talk and the receiving end doesn't seem to get what you're saying? You can:
1. Say again in the same way

2. Say again the same thing in different tone

3. Rephrase the things you were saying

4. Don't say anything... a.k.a. give up and save your breath


Option 4 is ok if you're not pressing for time. I've just learned about assertiveness... and this is one big lesson for me. I tend to just give up when people don't listen. Let them rot in hell, or if its some loose nut in the car, just let the nut come off and let the person die in some road accident etc.

Option 4 is probably not the option if the person is someone you care and you don't want anything bad happening to that person. Or even if you might get sucked into one hell of situation. So... how do you do it? I think I post more questions nowadays in this blog that I should rename this as Q&A blog.

Yada yada yada. You know all the text book answers like: you need to understand the person's background and appreciate what she/he knows or doesn't know.. know his culture and seek to understand than to be understood etc. Well, I can tell you that its not that easy in real life. You wanna say something but the other person just doesn't get it. It doesn't ring a bell at all. I guess that's why for our line of job, training is important because everyone knows what is important and what is not, what should we do in certain situation and what is the correct words to use...

Why (I just typed 'y' instead of 'why' for 3rd time... what has SMS technology done to me???) don't we have training in life as well??

Sometimes I wish I could just dive whenever I feel like it....

No comments: