Friday, June 6, 2008

Report Card

I guess this should be the 3rd Quarter Report card for Perth. The end of phase 3 is very near.. and for once I can see a pinhole light at the end of tunnel. Because of this, I get even more anxious to get home to my dearest.
How did I manage to get through almost 10 months downunder? Initially I thought it must be my natural aptitude since I've been away from home right after secondary school. I suddenly realize that there's more to it than just aptitude. Staying away from your natural environment in a foreign country and not missing home requires few factors:

1. Friends to keep you company

2. Strong sense of direction as to what is your aim there and your timeframe there

3. Support from your loved ones

4. Break once in a while and get away from everything....

I've worked in Kapit for a consulting firm where I have to take 3 hours boat ride from Sibu and then 1 hour car ride back to Sarikei. Doesn't seem very far and foreign, yet it didn't work for me because I don't have a combination of the 4 things above.

Coming to Perth was a novelty on its own even few months after I reach here. Everything I wanted to do seems to point towards this direction. Heck, previously if you name me any 'Ang moh' country I would say its better than Malaysia. That's why I even felt optimistic for my sister when she said she's moving to States. I was so sure that everything would work well there since States has always been potrayed by the media as a great nation (that perception changed even more after I watched SICKO last night about the medical mis-establishment in US). I still haven't changed my mind just yet about Australia. But will it work out here in the long term? It will if there's the 4 factors above.

For now, I am still hoping for the best for my remaining time here. I hope that my Phase 4 would be expedited. I must say that I enjoyed my experience here but not without regrets to certain stuffs such as being there for the passing of people you respected and for the many happy matrimony of dear friends - which bring me to this: Congrats to Ling Dak & Olivia on your happy occassion!

Reflection at Scaborough

No results yet from going to gym

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Roland,

As a Sarikei fella, its been a long time didn't hear from you. Anyway, you'll becoming a pilot soon. Congratulation!

Regards,
Gideon

Rollt said...

Hi there Gideon,
It seems I didn't manage to catch you in Skei during CNY last few years. Anyways, please do leave your contact or MSN or Skype etc.. would be cool to catch up with you!

Anonymous said...

Actually you and me are in the same industry. You will bring people up and down from the sky while I have been a stress engineer analysing components for A380 and A400m for couple of years. Its not common for Sarikeian people to involve in aviation industry. We're the lucky ones.

Gideon