Saturday, July 12, 2008

Bibi and Mickey

That's the name of my 1st pair of dogs. I didn't know what breed they were so I'm looking it up on the internet. Somehow at that point of time we never bothered to know. What I know is that our family really love them. Even the egg vendor loves them and would always spare an egg or two raw eggs for them. He'll crack raw eggs and Bibi will just lick them up in no time!
Saw online Akbash (which means white dog in Turkish) which looks similar to my dogs (RIP) but it doesn't have pointed ears. Gotta keep on looking...Saw Samoyed which was similar but it has longer fur than what Bibi had.
Then I saw American Eskimo Dog which looks right! I guess there's always a slight variation because the one in this picture looks quite small. Then I found out that this particular breed has 3 different sizes from toy to standard. I think I found my answer. No wonder I didn't know the name its because not many people I know have it and the people who kept such breed it in Sarikei doesn't care about the breed and normally just feed them with leftovers (buying dog food was unheard of or reserved for the ultra-rich people last time).
Dogs in Sarikei were mainly kept as watch dogs. I guess it was partially true for us. We'll know there's guest coming when the dog barks. No need for doorbell. But the breed was tainted when the dogs mate with neighbourhood dogs (for you see, Mickey's a bitch). After that, we kept some of the offsprings which were mongrels. This lasted for few more generations of Bibi's lineage until at one point, we stop keeping dogs. But in future, I would like to have dogs as pet and company once again. And this time, if I go to the pet shop, I would know the breed I would like to have....

This is not Bibi but the closes lookalike photo. Will try to get hold of some actual photos

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Roll, interesting!
Malaysian Airlines blog